3.29.2010

Dressing Up the Bed

I mentioned earlier that I was still acclimating to the weather here in Berkeley. That means relegating my black turtlenecks to the back of the closet (with a heavy sigh), and shopping for layers. Same goes for our bed!

I love the notion of outfitting a bed. Duvet covers are like the classic foundation pieces in your wardrobe: the standby pair of jeans that just feels better wash after wash, the crisp khaki shirtdress that looks equally chic with flip-flops or I-mean-business heels. Comfortable, practical, ready to be accessorized.

Neutral linen seems the way to go for a Spring-weight duvet, and I'm seeing it everywhere


This post at The Little Big House had me ooohing and ahhing. 
Images courtesy of This is Glamorous and Blueprint Bliss.


And, of course, there's the Belgian Linen collection at Restoration Hardware.
Glorious and far-fetched, at $70 per pillowcase...


Luckily for me, I also spotted the trend at Ikea, where a mere $25 bought me a duvet cover, matching shams, and a new bedding staple. 
It's sweet with country floral pillowcases (made by my Mom)...
And dreamy with velvet shams from Pottery Barn and the West Elm pillowcases that I couldn't resist last fall.


And Matilda approves.


I don't know about you, but I feel an afternoon nap coming on...




9 Have Spoken.:

Jane Flanagan said...

I'm newly obsessed with Rough Linen, http://roughlinen.com/

(originally spotted on D*S)

iheartkiwi said...

i am loving the linen look! i am a sucker for a big fluffy duvet... kiwi and i got our organic cotton set from west elm!

Elizabeth said...

Jane... That is EXACTLY the look that I was after. Unfortunately, slightly out of the question for little ol' unemployed me. Heck, I'm lucky to have a bed to sleep in :) I'm pretty pleased with with the Ikea version for the money. It doesn't have that yummy texture, but the color is spot on.

iheartkiwi... The sheets at West Elm are fantastic. I'm so impressed with my moth shams- they're silky and lovely!

Magchunk said...

Love that first image!

And look how sweet little Matilda is. What a face.

Elizabeth said...

Maggie... That first image could be my version of heaven! As for Matilda, that look on her face is expectation: she was promised cream if she modeled nicely for my picture :)

Rachel said...

Any advice for a girl who doesn't sew on finding a full-size duvet cover and NOT a full/queen? I *hate* the extra fabric that the convo size leaves on my bed but I can't seem to get around it! I found one on target.com once but it might be long gone, and really, more options would be nice!

Charlotta Ward said...

Despite the deep love for undyed linen (I am Swedish after all..) I still can't get away from Egyptian cotton for my bed.. Nothing beats it. At least not when you live in sticky, humid and tropical Sydney.

Loving your blog!

xCharlotta

Elizabeth said...

Rachel... I'm in complete agreement. I'll poke around for some additional sources! Have you thought about a very washable comforter in a color that you like? You might try looking at The Company Store, they have some very versatile options.

Elizabeth said...

Charlotta... Oooh, Egyptian cotton is equally lovely. Gosh, I could talk about bedding for hours. Thank

Thanks so much for stopping by!