6.12.2009

Reflections on Mirrored Paint

At long last, my overdue review of Krylon Mirror Finish Spray Paint.  Why the delay?
  • I discovered that I can't trust anything printed on the label, which meant that...
  • One can did not cover the promised square footage, and...
  • I ran out halfway through my project, and...
  • I could not find another can anywhere.
"One Step." HA!

I tried to be pretty thorough in testing this product. I started with an apothecary jar (as I mentioned here), but when I experienced some trouble with the curved surface I decided to test it on a flat surface and compare the results. I found a frame with cracked glass and gave it a go. I followed the directions exactingly, and these are my findings:

The BAD, and/or The UGLY
  • The manufacturer's 5 coat suggestion is hilarious.  After 5 coats all I had was a blotchy shimmer- still completely transparent.  After 10 coats I had a hazy silver.  After 20 I had run out of paint, but was still only moderately pleased with the results.  This also means that their square footage estimate is wayyyy off.  
  • The paint is intended for use on glass, but it drips, runs, and puddles- even on a completely flat surface. This makes a mockery of their label, which shows several different vases (with sloping sides) sporting a perfectly even reflective finish. I can't see how they could achieve this by spraying this watery mess from an 8 inch distance. Impossible!
  • The finish is apparently water soluble- the tiniest bit of moisture will cause it to melt off. It is also easily scratched. A clear topcoat of some sort would need to be applied to prevent this.
  • This stuff smells NASTY. I've been exposed to all kinds of wild-smelling art supplies before (turpentine, oils, fixatives, you name it), but this was too much for me. One spray was like swimming in nail polish- I feel like I sacrificed way too many brain cells for the sake of this experiment. The things I'll do in the name of science decor!
  • The price is outrageous, especially considering the low yield.
 
See the drips?  The strange grainy finish?  That's the UGLY.

The GOOD
  • I feel like this product has potential. When I painted the framed glass, I decided to simulate an antique mirror or mercury glass finish, and I'm pleasantly surprised by the results. I splotched on some black acrylic paint between coats and intermittently tossed in some gold dust. Because the spray paint's finish is naturally cloudy and distorted, I think this really maximized the effect.
Which do you like?  My antiqued look, or straight from the can?

My recommendation? Don't buy this if you're not willing to put in a lot of time and creative energy. Following the instructions is bound to disappoint!


0 Have Spoken.: