1.15.2010

In the Cards

Once, as a little girl, I received a deck of tarot cards as a gift. I couldn't make heads or tails or cups or swords of the whole thing, but I loved the illustrations!

Tarot cards are steeped in history and symbolism, depicting classic archetypes of the human experience. Adam may raise an eyebrow to the occult association, but he's a Joseph Campbell enthusiast and an avid student of Medieval literature. I wonder if I could persuade him to consider some tarot art in the new place?

I've seen individually-framed cards before, and I caught a glimpse of this giclee in a house tour. The cards are divine in this 3x3 presentation, but I'm not so excited by the illustrations (or the price).

I did, however, have way too much fun with the new feature at AllPosters that allows you to view pieces "on the wall" in a selection of styled rooms. Yeah. Way too much fun.

I foresee a DIY project for the Berkeley apartment. I like the style of the Rider-Waite-Smith deck, but the bright yellow and orange throws me. Perhaps I'll trace and hand-color my own (especially if I'm unemployed for any length of time).


Images from the Rider-Waite-Smith deck courtesy of Tarot Experts & Instant Oracle

I'm not superstitious, but I might do a little research first to make sure I don't hang some dire prediction on my wall! What do you think?

2 Have Spoken.:

jaunty magpie said...

You should do it! I have little odds and ends of collected ephemera and am always wondering what to do with them for display. This is perfect!

Anne @ The City Sage said...

ooohhh---I LOVE this idea! the illustrations on these cards are always so mysterious and colorful---sort of in an old timey romanian traveling circus kind of way! imagine finding some vintage ones in a flea market and framing those! what a find that would be!

and ANY time you're up for bitching over coffee (or waffles with whipped cream, for that matter) I'm your girl!